Celebrating our family history and sharing our knowledge  Site Map   Site Map

Waterford Crystal

In 1783 the glassworks in Waterford, Ireland, began to produce the hand-blown lead-oxide glass (originally called flint glass) that was to become famous for its fine lustre and the brilliance of its cutting, most commonly with lozenge and prism shapes. Such was its fame that chandeliers in the Waterford style came to be called Waterford even when they were produced elsewhere.

The Clampett family story is that several independent glass blowing/making families came together with our family to form Waterford Crystal.

Founded by the brothers George and William Penrose, the works were first managed by the Englishman John Hill, who brought English artisans with him. As a result, the glass produced at Waterford was English in both style and technique. Supposedly, it was distinguishable by a faint blue tint, but this has proved to be an imaginary quality, probably suggested by the lustrous purity of the crystal.

The Waterford works had several owners from 1825 until it closed in 1851, but the quality of their product remained unaffected and came to be held the equal of any glass made in England.

In the 1950s the Waterford glass industry was revived, and exporting began. The products include everything from tableware to chandeliers as well as such specially commissioned items as trophies.

See also www.waterford-usa.comOpens in a new Window


Back to top Back to top     About this Site      Print this page    Site Map  Site Map